With temperatures in the upper 20s and light, non-sticking snow falling, Sapulpa Firefighters went out to battle a house fire on Wednesday evening, getting the call about 7:45 pm.
The fire took place on McCleod, just west of Mission Street, and Battalion Chief Inbody says they believe the cause of the blaze was a small space heater. “It doesn’t look like the heater failed, but something fell on it and it caught something on fire.”
Unfortunately, though the structure didn’t appear to be a total loss, the damage was at several places throughout the home and had gotten into the attic, forcing those living inside to seek shelter with other family members that night. “There are a couple of salvageable rooms,” Inbody said.
The nearest working hydrant was across Mission Street, which was blocked both ways by Sapulpa Police Department. The Fire Department had to run the hose across the street and down McCleod in order to reach the fire. The fire was quickly brought under control, but the damage had been done. The streets were cleared and firefighters were beginning to leave the scene by 9:30 pm.